Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Recharge the batteries

There's nothing quite like a weekend out of town, to help you recharge.  It doesn't have to be far away.  Just some good times with some good friends. Oh yeah, some beer and tequila won't hurt either.

Ft Myers Beach, not too far away, but just right for what we needed.  Of course once we got to our destination, our gracious hosts Dave & Tina immediately showed us the stocked outdoor fridge.  My first beer was opened and gone before the car was unloaded.  Maybe my first two beers. You see where this is going.

Big Hickory Island, Bonita Beach
Most days, I set an alarm and wake somewhere between 4:30am and 5:30am. So what a treat NOT to set an alarm. Sleeping till 7:10am is "sleeping in".   After breakfast we were ready to take on the day, and the boat and the beach and the Florida sun!  Again, the first beers of the day were cracked open somewhere around 10:30am. Hey, "It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere"  An awesome time watching the dolphins chase fish and play alongside the boat.  We got to talk to the locals along a small barrier island near Bonita Beach.

There was sun, fun, beers, drinks and great company to be had! Somewhere I lost count, or maybe I never started counting quite how many drinks I had, but it didn't matter.  After a fantastic grouper sandwich and fish tacos, it was back to the house, to lounge in the pool for a bit before deciding where to eat yet again.  

Bucket-o-fun
I had nothing to do with it
We laughed, we ate, we drank, we laughed some more.  From sun-up to sun-down it was simply a great day.  The evening was capped off with a walk along the beach late night.  It doesn't get much better than that.

Sunday came, again no alarm clock was set, but we were ready to go.  We had talked about running, and got going.  It was Kari's first run in over a month. Twenty minute rehab rub, easy pace, just get out there and feel the Florida sun and humidity.  Actually felt really good!

"Pete's Time Out"
Breakfast, then some more time to explore Fort Myers beach, the pier, the Dairy Queen.  Somewhere along the line I guess, I was put into time out.  You can see me at Pete's Time Out!  I must go back there again.  A big shout out and thank you to our hosts Dave & Tina who own the Dairy Queen on Ft Myers Beach.  If you happen to be there, stop in indulge a bit, and say hi!

The perfect getaway, to get ready for a long season of training.  It must have worked.  Monday, I had some technical difficulties with my alarm clock, but woke at 5:00am ready to teach my spin class!  I even think I had a smile on my face at the gym.

My Ironman training plan begins in earnest Monday May 20th, for what will be 24 weeks of intense, soul-searching, gut wrenching, push my body to its limit, training and racing.  

The batteries are recharged, IRONMAN, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment