Tuesday, November 20, 2012

What are you THANKFUL for?

Its that time of year where we get together, we eat together, we drink together, we laugh together.  We spend time with friends and family we haven't seen for months or even years.  We eat things we shy away from all year long.  We may imbibe a little, or perhaps a lot.  No matter what your Holiday weekend plans include, make sure you remember to be thankful for the people in your life!

I'm grateful for many things.  I'm grateful for my God given abilities to get outside, to swim, to bike and to run.  Yes I said run, this year, I have actually come to enjoy running.

Most important, I'm thankful for the people in my life.  This has been a turbulent year for me as most of you know.  Its been enlightening as well.  You really find out who your true friends are when you're down.  I'm not going to go down the list and name names.  Two reasons, one, there is just too many awesome people to name and two, I will end up excluding someone in error.

I'm thankful for everyone that wakes up at 5:00 am to come to one of my spin classes.  I'm grateful  to everyone that shows up before dawn for a bike ride, and listens to me bark out instructions and routes.  For everyone that runs with me, and makes me accountable by waking up with me during the week.  For everyone that pounds on my door, drags me out for a run, and listens to me breathe like a freight train.

As most of you know, my mother has been sick for some time, and this week she ended up in the hospital.  Having all of the emotions associated with having the health of a parent failing, something else happened that was pure accident.

Waiting in line at the hospital for information I was playing with my phone, I accidentally "checked in" and it said I was in the emergency room.  While the phone was now in my back pocket, something quite amazing, and very humbling happened.

Within a few minutes, my phone started vibrating non-stop.  Between Facebook, updates, text messages, calls and voice mails my phone literally didn't stop.  I was in the ER sitting with my Dad waiting for my Mom to come back from a test.  When I looked at the phone, my first reaction was, "oh $#!% I didn't mean to post that!"  I tried to delete the post, but that wasn't possible.  I was able to text back to a few people what was going on, but I was reluctant to post something about my mother, because we hadn't told the whole family what was going on.  The posts continued, so I finally posted that it was my mom in the hospital not me.  This literally happened in a span of 10 - 15 minutes.  The outpouring of support and encouragement really got to me.

For every one I am privileged to call a friend... 
THANK YOU! 

BUDDY - My Best Friend


1 comment:

  1. Buddy is your best friend? I thought I was. WTH Pete? ;)

    I'm thankful for you.

    ReplyDelete