Monday, January 7, 2013

New Day, New Year!


Its just a day, however we put so much emphasis on it. We anticipate it, we celebrate it, we share traditions with each other, and create new ones.  We make resolutions, of what we want to do in the coming year. We lament the outgoing year, and pray for things to get better.

As athletes, we break out the new calendar, and immediately we start plugging races in.  We say things like, this will be my B or C race, or maybe "I wasn't planning on doing that one, but if everyone else is, I'll do it."   We plan our vacations around which races we're going to compete in, or make them destination races.   People just don't get it, when we say things like this. Oh sure they say they admire us, but let's face it, they think we are crazy. They haven't figured out this is NOT a hobby, this is a way of life.  It really is who we are, not what we do.

My race calendar will be fairly simple this year.  Well, simple is definitely a misnomer.  It will be a limited race schedule, with Ironman FL the main focus in November.  I've vowed, during training or any of the other races, if I feel PAIN like I did during Rock-N-Roll in St Petersburg last year, I will DNF, and walk off the course or just shut it down.  Please remind me of that if you are running with me.

2012 was somewhat of a tumultuous year for me personally.  But it has also been part of an incredible journey.  I have made so many new friends this past year.  Some friendships that have been renewed or have taken on new meaning.  I have nothing but the highest hopes for 2013!

The journey continues, and it will not end in Panama City.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!


1 comment:

  1. You are an inspiration to all who know you young man. I will never forget when you approached me at the LA Fitness Desk when you were in sales and I was GF coordinator. You said you wanted to get certified and teach cycle classes. I encouraged you to go for it but I had no idea what you would Morph into. Life is an interesting Journey full of surprises isn't it.

    ReplyDelete